Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Surf Fishing Made Simple


Surf fishing Made Simple

Well September is here and the surf fishing should be heating up. I like to "kick it off" with the Mullet run which starts around the second or third week of September.

This is my favorite time of year and I look forward to the cooler mornings and evenings ahead.

I am also looking forward to have the opportunity to catch Striped Bass, Bluefish, Little Tunny, Spanish Mackerel, and Little Tunny from the surf and Jetties in Monmouth County.

The following post provide some basic information and tips on surf fishing with artificial lures (Plugs, Poppers, Metal, ect) for the above species along Monmouth county beaches. I hope this is helpful and feel free to comment as usual. I still don’t know it all. This post is intended to help people that may be interested or new to surf fishing in the area.

When and Where

Although fish can be caught anytime of year along the beach my favorite time is in late summer fall and early winter. September through December. (My son and I have caught many Bass in January and February as well, but the fish tend to be smaller.

I fish during a Northwest, Northeast, East and North winds at any speed. I do not like South/ South East winds for surf fishing. The water gets dirty and cold due to up-welling and I find it to be unproductive.

Some will argue, but I will fish on any tide. As my dad used to say when I would complain about the low tide…..”They’re not too tall”

I fish a half hour to hour before and after sunrise and the same at sunset. During the fall you can catch them anytime but the most productive time seem to be right before it gets dark or right before it gets light.

There are many spots to fish along the shore in Monmouth County. You can fish Sandy Hook, Monmouth beach, Long Branch, Deal Asbury Ocean Grove and so on.

There are several Beach access points in each town. Sandy hook and several parking areas. I use parking lot 2 if I fish the hook. I fish in the Deal and Allenhurst area and I have to say there are no bad fishing spots.

What I would say is don’t drive around “looking” for fish. Find a stretch or beach and start fishing. You don’t have to see them for the fish to be there. In other words spend more time fishing and you will be more successful.


What you will need


1) Rod

A 7-9 1/2 foot Medium action rod rated for 15-25lb test. I use a 9 1/2 foot Lamiglass Fiberglass rod and Old Penn 650ssm or 750ssm reel.

Tip You don't need a 11ft rod to cast a mile in this area. Most fish are caught right in the wash or next to the jetty. I use a smaller rod on calm days and a larger rod with bigger reel on rough or windy days.

2) Reel

Skirted spool reel capable of holding 250yds of 15-20lb test.
There are so many brands out there that fill this requirement. I use the Penn as a "reference", you can go up or down in cost from here. Van Stall, Diawa and Finor also make some great high end reels.

I have been using the reel pictured below for at least 20 yrs and with minor repairs now and then it works fine.

Tip: Do not drop your reel in the sand or rinse in the surf. Always rinse your reel and rod off with fresh water when you get home and it will last much longer.

3) Line

I use 17-20 pound test mono. I like Ande and Trilene XL in the colder weather because it is softer and does not stiffen up in cold conditions.
For braid I use 30-50lb Power Pro. Again, there are many brands available so use your favorite.

note: I do not like braid when using Pencil Poppers. The braid tends to "drop" down the spool when imparting the popping action. This may cause a tangle. I also prefer mono in rough surf conditions as it acts as a shock absorber resulting in less fish lost.

Tip: Tie a 50lb 12-18in shock leader to your braid using a Albright or Blood Knot. It will hold up against the sharp gill plates of Stripers and act as a shock absorber.

4) Waders

Waders have improved so much over the years. Breathable materials make them lighter and more comfortable than ever. I use the breathable "boot foot" chest waders with a belt for safety. Cabealas, Orvis and others sell them. I use both.

Tip: Wear appropriate weight "Polar fleece" under the waders for extra comfort. AND ALWAYS WEAR A BELT FOR SAFTEY.

Tip: Creepers, Corkers (Cleats) are not required for fishing from the sand but a necessity when fishing from the rocks. The tie on cleats will come off in the surf so watch out! Some brands come with Velcro straps; these may be a better choice.

5) Lures

"Match the Hatch" as they say!
I have narrowed down the lures that I bring to the surf with me. Think high, medium and low. I use a teaser rig when using metal and plugs. Poppers get a 12-18in shock leader.

High: Poppers surface lures in the 8in and six in. I use Pencil poppers a lot and when the mullet are in, the smaller size one can be deadly. Vary your retrieve and work that popper right to the sand. Often a Striper will hit right in the wash at your feet.

Tip: Small red and white pencil poppers are deadly on Little tunny. Use a fast popping retrieve when they invade and hold on!!

Medium: Swimming plugs like the bomber lures A-Salt or yo-zuri Crystal minnow work well. Reel faster to get down a little further, slower to stay closer to the surface. These lures seem to work best when you reel very slowly.

Tip: Again, reel the plug right up to the sand, use with a 30-50lb "teaser rig"
When the waves or current pulls on the plug, stop reeling and let the wave/current action do the work. You will often get a hit as this bait is holding in the current. Bring two sizes and two colors, Black at night or low light in the evening and White in the Morning.

Low: Metal lures, Hopkins, Kastmaster, or my favorite, 2-3 oz diamond jig with a green tail. These often work best in rough surf and when the fish are feeding on sand eels. Cast to diving birds, let it sink and start reeling moderately fast. Often you will get a fish on as soon as you start reeling.

Tip: Don't let heavy surf stop you from fishing. A hard dry Northeast can be just the thing to turn on the Striped Bass. Even if it looks "un-fishable" give it a try. You will be surprised. It is like a playground for those "broom tail" bass.

Also bring some small metals with you. Often Spanish Mackerel,  Cero Mackerel and Bonito will invade the surf in September and October. I have caught them on an off through the years and they can be a nice surprise.

Tip: Tie the metal right to the line (no leader) and reel fast.
Well I hope this was helpful. Hopefully we will have a good fall and catch lots of fish.

Don't forget a knife to bleed the fish, small light and cloth tape measure!


Good Luck,

Leif

No comments:

Post a Comment