Friday, January 22, 2010

Mackerel/Cod update 1/22/10


Mackerel fishing was slow yesterday out of Belmar, NJ. Captain Jimmy Elliott reported Comercial Processing Ships in the area he was fishing. Even so most anglers had some Mackerel. He said the mackerel should regroup and the mackerel fishing is not over. The Miss Belmar Princess will be sailing daily at 7:30am for the mackerel.

Codfishing remains very good out of Montauk and R.I. The cod are building up off Block Island and limit catches have been reported.


****Please don't waste the codfish*****Some of the fish over the past few years have had "worms" in the flesh.  These are common and are harmless to humans when cooked properly or frozen. They can also be easily removed by shining a light through the fillet and  removing them with a sharp pointy knife. If this still bothers you, e-mail me and I will take them. Here is a link regarding the cod worm.

 http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/Pubs/parasite.htm
 
Leif

2 comments:

  1. it took me along time to eat cod again after the worm I found in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw them I thought it was all a waste. They do give you the creeps. The link I posted on them gives some good information.

    Leif

    ReplyDelete